Yoga therapy is a relatively new and evolving healthcare profession that supports health and wellbeing, and the overall balance and homeostasis of the mind, body, and energy system through a range of yogic techniques and practices.
Yoga therapists will apply yogic science, philosophy and a wide range of practices (from breathing techniques, physical postures, to meditation, mantra, sound) to those experiencing physical or mental health conditions. The work is now supported by a growing body of evidence to support the yogic approach to health and healing. Being able to create the conditions for the person to activate the best possible conditions for healing the mind, body and energy system is a key element in this.
There are some differences in practice across the yoga therapy field, but all the systems will work to help bring calm and balance to the nervous system and help rebuild vitality at the level of the mind, the body and the bio-energetic system.
Kundalini yoga therapy, an approach that takes the client deep into the subtle anatomy and the energetic principles of the mind, body and energy to support health and healing, supports the client in the following ways:
- Therapeutic applications of breathing techniques, physical postures and meditations to support and integrate mind and body healing.
- Understanding and working through the subtle anatomy and energy system to support balance and flow of energy through the 8 chakras, ten spiritual bodies and main energy meridians.
- Application of a range of yogic techniques to rebuild the nervous system, help support glandular health and build vitality and capacity.
- Taking an energetic and subtle anatomy perspective to supporting overall health and healing from an emotional, psychological and spiritual perspective.
- Blend Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine principles with kundalini yoga practices and teachings to create and support the optimum conditions for healing within the body.
- The therapeutic application of mantra and sound and energy healing to help restore the body’s natural rhythms and health frequency within the body.
- Lifestyle and wellbeing coaching through yogic diet, yogic philosophy and humanology.
All of these activities combine to provide a very integrative and supportive place for the body to come back into wellbeing and balance according to the needs of the individual.
The key focus is not to diagnose or treat the illness but activate and generate change in the body’s own bio system to restore balance and rebuild vitality.
Its no quick fix for sure, and everyone is on their own journey of awakening and awareness, but yoga therapy can provide a supportive and complementary mind, body, energy toolkit to build calm and raise vitality, two essential factors in health and wellbeing outcomes.
If you want to know more or would like to work together to support your health and wellbeing, please get in touch. For more information on therapeutic wellbeing courses or one2ones, see our website listed in the links below.
This article reflects my own personal opinions of yoga therapy intended to raise awareness of kundalini yoga therapy and is not a reflection of a standard definition or scope of practice. I also include an article on yoga therapy listed on yoga journal in the links below for background.
To your happiness & wellbeing
Kelly Egan, Conscious Intentions, Supporting happiness and wellbeing with NLP, coaching, hypnotherapy, kundalini yoga, meditation, and kundalini yoga therapy.
#wellbeing #wellbeingcoach #emotionalwellbeing #wellbeingwarrior #mentalwellbeing #healthandwellbeing #overwhelm #menopause #womenshealth #anxiety #depression #yoga therapy #kundaliniyogatherapy